Monday, February 20, 2012

Work Sucks...So Why Do it?

That's the question I've been asking myself quite a lot recently. To explain, let me first give you a definition of what I consider "work". "Work", for me, is basically anything that I'm doing where the main intent is to earn money...and is something that, if I didn't need the money, I wouldn't be doing otherwise. A "job" would be something where I have reoccurring "work". So, with those definitions...if given the choice, why would anyone ever do work or have a job? If money was taken out of the picture...would anyone ever work?

A quick side note...I suppose you could look at it as a barter system instead...and that instead of doing the work for money, you're doing the work for other trade goods that you might need. So let's assume for a second that you don't need money or any other specific trade goods...would you work? Some people might say yes..."I like it when I'm working on _____". Okay...I'm not going to deny that that's possible. Everyone enjoys doing different things...that's what makes us work together well as a society. But that goes outside the definition I gave..."work" is something that you wouldn't want to be doing, if the money and/or trade goods weren't needed.

But everyone needs some money or some of kind of goods, right?...because we have basic needs that we have to fulfill like food, water, and shelter. Or we're also providing those things for other members of our family. So, no matter what, we all need certain things to survive. And if we're not already creating those things for ourselves, then we have to obtain them from someone else.

I know this is rambling somewhat...but bear with me...I'm almost to my point. So the main problem I see here, is that the majority of us aren't able (or willing) to provide those basic needs on our own. To get food/water...you need land...you need a supply of grown goods...you need running fresh water. To build an adequate shelter...you need supplies...and again you need land/location to build it. Without money, most of us can't obtain these things. So that leads us to where most of us are now...we come to the conclusion that we NEED money to obtain the things that we need to survive. And if we need money, then we NEED to work...and the easiest way to get consistent work is at a job.

And so a lot of us growing up come to the realization, mostly from the observation of those around us, that we not only need a job in order to live, but that we need a well-paying job so that we can cover our basic needs, as well as all the other things that we think we "need". In my perception, it appears that most of us (including myself) end up sacrificing our happiness (or at least being able to always do what makes us happy) in order to do this work at this job. At least that's what I've been doing for the past 20 years...working at jobs that I don't really like...just so that I can make money.

We finally get to the big question that I have been trying to wrap my mind around...why can't everyone find something that they like to do...AND actually make money doing it...at least enough to provide the basic needs for yourself and your family. The biggest problem (at least for me) was fear...the unknown. Six months ago, I wasn't sure what it was that I would want to do, given the choice. Sure, I had some ideas, but only about what I liked to do...not exactly ideas about things that I could do that would actually make me money or provide for my basic needs.

So at first I was scared...I didn't know where I was going or what I was going to be doing...but I did know one important thing. I knew that there were people out there doing what I was wishing I could be doing...there were people out there doing what they loved...loving what they were doing...AND providing for their family's basic needs. So why couldn't I be doing that?...why couldn't I be doing "work" that made me happy?...that I enjoyed? Well, after a decent amount of thought and discussions with my wife...we decided it was time

And so after working as a professional engineer for over 13 years...I called it quits. It wasn't because I didn't like the people I was working with...it wasn't because I didn't like the place I was working. In a sense, it even wasn't the actual work itself...meaning, that as far as engineering work was concerned, in my opinion, it was pretty a good job for the pay. But even with all of those positive aspects of my job...it still wasn't making me happy...and therefore it wasn't what I wanted to be doing.

So here I am, almost 4 months later...I still don't have a "job" and I'm still not doing any "work". However, I am doing some things that I wasn't before...things that I really like doing and that are going to make me money. And with a continued positive outlook, I will be able to turn this experience into even more possibilities that will provide support for myself and my family.

For those of you out there who are looking down your path of life and wanting something a little bit more out of it...go ahead and take that leap...a leap of faith, if you want to call it that. Faith in the fact that many people out there are doing exactly that...they are taking the leap, and they are landing on their two feet and running with it. And above everything else...they are happy in whatever it is that they're doing.

3 comments:

  1. So what is this thing you are doing that you love that will make you money? It's great to hear that you found that something, whatever it may be.

    You have defined "job" in a way that is impossibly negative. There is no way, by your definition, that ANYONE would want a "job." And it's sad that you defined it that way. Sad that you seem to see it as only something that is an obligation tied to just money and not self fulfillment or helping others or making the world a better place. Some people truly enjoy going to their jobs every day and love what they do, or at least like it. And some of those people are also giving back to their community and the world around them in their job, which can make one enjoy their job even more. I am one of those people who enjoys my job. Sure, if it wasn't for the health benefits and money (benefits are key, don't ignore those) I would be working part time at my job, but yes, I would still want my "job" ...but MY definition, not yours, which doesn't allow for work one enjoys doing, or is proud of the outcome. -Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree that I have a very negative outlook on the idea of a "job"...mostly because that's the what I've been taught, not just from my own experience with them...but from the representations of those around me and also from TV and Movies. "Jobs" are rarely ever represented as places where people are happy.

    So in the example that you give...I wouldn't call that a "job" or "work"...I'd just call it doing what I like/love to do. I'm glad that you are already doing what you enjoy...you are one of those people that I've been striving to be.

    As for what I'm doing now...it's a lot of different things...with the biggest pursuit being learning how to write/design apps. I'm currently designing a particular app...and enjoying every bit of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear you enjoy it. Hope you are successful at it, for you and for your family.

    As for my job, I just always knew I couldn't do a job that wasn't something I enjoyed doing, and didn't help others in some way. I started teaching at public schools in a tough area but found that I didn't have the stomach for the discipline issues and shear neglect so many kids were dealing with and b/c of that I got sick constantly. I ended up in private schools and didn't feel like I was "helping" in the right way, until I realized how many kids need art to get through school, and how many wealthy kids are just as needy for love and creative expression as poor kids. And I am able to teach kids to think in a new way and see the world differently. I knew I'd never make much money doing this and it does bug me some times, but it's what it is...
    Good luck, Drew. You know we are all hoping this works out for you guys...

    ReplyDelete